Girls Like Girls Like Boys Do

Girls Like Girls by Hayley Kiyoko is one of my favorite music videos ever. I adore the music, the visuals, the story, just ughh everything about it is so good. For Pride month in June, I thought it would be fun to recreate some screenshots from the video with my American Girl dolls. Now obviously, it is no longer June. As I started to plan the project, I realized that I didn't have any of the pieces for the outfits, the bicycle (which I think is a rather key prop), a pool for the background of one scene, or even a doll that I wanted to use for the main character. So it took longer than I expected.

I have spent a long time on this photography project. Almost all of these pictures will be posted on my Instagram, @pointeshoesdolls, but because of the effort I put into them, I thought it was appropriate to also post them here (along with some behind the scenes info, oooh).


First of all, shout out to my best friend for letting me borrow so many things from her. She loaned me the bicycle, the white shorts, Kanani, even let me take photos at her house. Thank you so much.


The second shout out goes to my sister for helping me with so much of the photography. For example, I was standing on her back to take this photo. I love you sis :).


I don't have photos from every scene in the video, just because a lot of the poses that the actors do would be very difficult to make using dolls without jointed elbows and knees. Like, I adore the pool house scene where they are painting each other's nails (It's so cuteeeee!!) but I couldn't do that with dolls.


Now we have moved on to the scene in the field. I also love that scene because it's just so cute and also such a mood. I couldn't get the backgrounds on this very well because Girls Like Girls was filmed in California, which looks very different from where I live. Regardless, I think this is a cute picture.



Two angles of roughly the same thing, but I like both of them.





The pool scene. That's the big one. This was taken in my best friend's backyard.


This one is edited closest to the actual video.



This wasn't in the video but look how cute it is. I LOVE.


OH??
But they don't kiss. The jealous boy comes out and throws the main character onto the ground. Except she gets back up and takes him out.


The pose for this was so. hard. I spent forever out here trying to pose these because doll arms don't like to stay where you put them.


There's no fake blood involved here, even though the character had a split lip. I was worried that if I put something on her face it would stain her, and since she isn't my doll it wasn't a good idea.


And then they really do kiss and all is well. I cry.


The light in this one is weird but it's the best pose so it balances out.




I was barefoot when I took this photo, and let me tell you: that pavement was hot. I don't know why I took my shoes off, but I did.
Shout out to my sister for keeping watch and making sure I didn't get run over. No shout outs for the several people who walked by and seemed to be judging me.

So that's the photo shoot! It took a long time but I really enjoyed doing it. I hope that you also liked them and they gave you all the cute gay vibes that the video does.

Comments

  1. Aww this is so cute! 😍I haven't watched the video yet, I need to go and watch it now 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't stress enough what a cute music video it is lol.

      Delete
  2. Hi!! I just read this post and aqhkdkw it's SO CUTE omg!! I love the poses, especially by the pool! I haven't read a lot of doll blogs but I'm starting to think I should change that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doll blogs are pretty neat! I follow more instagrams because I'm more active there. Some of my favorite accounts are @5hensandacockatiel @girlfrienddolls @flowersag and @lighthousedolls. Of course there are hundreds more great accounts out there too!

      Delete
    2. which dolls are those? The one with the darker hair looks . like Felicity???? But she has darker eyes than Felicity.

      Delete
    3. The darker haired one is Kanani, and the blonde one is Elizabeth Cole.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might also like