Seventeen

Image from Canva

November feels like a monumental achievement. I came from the theater-induced stress disaster that was October, which contrasts the good events of November so strongly that they seem even better than they might have been otherwise.
I mean, November began with the news that My Chemical Romance is back together, and if that's not a good way to start the month, I don't know what is. I'm awaiting the announcement of a reunion tour so I can beg my parents for tickets. I want to see my favorite band live! I've never seen any band live, and for so long I thought I would never see MCR, but now I have a chance!!!! Be thankful that I'm over the fangirl screaming.

I had my birthday at the beginning of November. It was pretty chill. I'm 17 now, which on the one hand is a comfortable age, and on the other hand is dangerously close to 18, which intimidates me.
I got tickets to see Wicked from my family, and it was a fantastic show. I wasn't very familiar with it before I went to see it, but my girlfriend, who came with me, had already seen it once before. The ending made me cry, and while that's not a difficult feat, it nods to the quality of the storytelling. My favorite part had to be the costume design. Every one was unique and incredibly elaborate. They used so many patterns and accessories, especially for the residents of the Emerald City, but my favorites were the ones for the students at Elphaba's school. Their costumes moved beautifully, or in less professional terms, the skirts were super swirly and I loved that. 
If you haven't seen Wicked and have no idea what I'm describing, I'm sorry. I would recommend seeing it if you have the opportunity. It's so good.

That night, I got back from the theater around 1 A.M. The next day was my birthday, and my little brother was so excited that he woke me up at 7:45 to bring me a jar of candy corn and the flowers that he'd picked out for me. It was very sweet, but I only got six hours of sleep.
That day I also found out that I'd made it past the first round of interviews to get into a summer college program for 10th and 11th graders. I'm working on the second part of my application now, so wish me luck that I'll make it all the way!

Running in the background of all of this was NaNoWriMo. I won this year! It's kind of hard to believe it happened, but I wrote 50,000 words in a month. I keep thinking about how many words that is. It's split into two projects, a new fantasy thing that hasn't worked out like I want it to yet, and Scouts. I also wrote three short stories, one of which I plan to post later this month. I'm waiting for my winner shirt to come in the mail (It's been 8 days, come on.) I adore wearing NaNo stuff because it makes me feel accomplished.


The badge makes it more believable.

A smaller achievement this month was my addition of a rainbow pin to my backpack. It's taken some confidence to keep it there, so I'm proud of myself. I haven't taken it off yet except when the back fell off a few days ago.

Frozen 2 came out this month! I've been a little obsessed with Frozen since middle school if you weren't aware, and I haven't let it go yet.
(I'm sorry, that was terrible.)
Frozen 2 was better than the first, and I felt like it appropriately accounted for the amount that the original fans have probably matured. The story was cute but sad in the right places. I dressed up enough to give off Elsa vibes when I went to see it, but I skipped makeup, which I'm glad for because I would have cried it off. The soundtrack and animation were amazing.
(Minor spoilers below, scroll if you don't wanna see.)

Elsa looked gorgeous with her hair down, and the amount of power when she rides that water horse, oh my goodness. Agh, I love her so much. Her wardrobe was better in this movie, too, although I'm convinced that her dresses aren't actually made of fabric and instead are painted on her skin. They're so thin and delicate that they don't seem to have any substance.

(Okay, minor spoilers over. You can open your eyes now.)

The last thing I have to say today is that I started a new blog. I'm now adding Sincerely, Lanie to my handful of creative outlets. I'm planning to post journal pieces and other creative whatever that doesn't fit the theme of this blog. The posts will likely be shorter, so the posting schedule might (might) be more frequent. If you want to give it a follow, I'd appreciate it. Here's the link again!

How was your November? Are you ready for the end of the decade?

Comments

  1. I turn 17 this month and I feel you on 18 feeling scary because it's suddenly in the horizon!!
    That's so cool that you got to see Wicked. :))
    And I haven't seen Frozen 2 yet, but you speaking so highly of it makes me want to.

    I hope your December is lovely and I'm off to check out your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy early birthday!
      I loved Frozen 2, but you probably noticed already haha.

      Delete
  2. 18 is, definitely, a bit of a cornerstone in the process of growing up. There's a... finality to it? For lack of a better word? Your childhood is officially over, and your life is now in your hands. 17 and to a lesser extent 16 is a buffer age, giving you a brief moment to recollect on what brought you here and everything that will soon come after.

    Also, if MCR doesn't live-stream the show on the 20th, we absolutely must riot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a year of difference, but there are so many expectations that start when you're 18. I'm not excited for that.
      Yeah, they'd better stream it. At least some dedicated fan will, I'm almost certain.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you had a great birthday! Congrats on NaNo!
      I've been making a writing blog recently too, which is finally up and running!

      arosebyanotherword.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Happy (extremely late, oof) birthday!!!! 17 is a pretty cool age, even though you can feel 18 creeping up on you 😓😊 And well done for winning Nano, that's so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's partly my fault for posting about my birthday a month after it happened, haha.

      Delete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday!
    Sounds like a pretty good month.
    I saw a sequel that was better than the original, too (Jumanji: The Next Level).
    Yay, MCR! And you might get to see them live?! Do you listen to Avril Lavigne? I'd recommend her music if you like punk pop.
    I'll be sure to check out your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know MCR hasn't announced any shows near me, but I'm hoping they do. I don't really listen to Avril Lavigne, but I'll check out some of her music.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it would be so cool if you got to see them live!
    I really like her song "Keep Holding On" but she's done a lot of good ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like