How to Hold a Snail

I'm not doing a wrap-up post for 2020. Things happened this year, yes, but I have a feeling that all of you are sick of forced positivity and talk of the "new normal." At least, I'm very sick of it. I wrote a post about snails to finish out the year. I hope you enjoy. 

I kept garden snails this summer. I had eight, and the four big enough to tell apart had names: Leif, Chomp, Schrodinger*, and Zippy. I had them for about two months, and then I let them go in early July. I kind of regret that, because I miss them.

*Schrodinger was named by my friend who'd been sending pictures of my snails to her other friends, but realized that she didn't know if they had names or not when someone asked if they did. She concluded they were both named and unnamed, thus Schrodinger's snails, and she suggested that for my one snail without a name.

If you don't know how it feels to have a snail crawl across the palm of your hand, I think you're missing out.

My little brother feeding Chomp

You pick them up when they're tucked inside their shell, like a delicate little rock that's much too light to be a rock. You set them in your cupped palm. You wait.

Schrodinger exploring the outside of the jar.

They unfurl in the strangest way. They poke out their tail and belly first, their foot crumpled and nervous away from your skin. Then you can see their mouth, and then their head emerges. Their eyes extend like tiny telescopes to look at your hand, then you. The snail shifts, uncrumples their foot and sets their shell upright.

Zippy, featuring one of my favorite books.

 Suddenly, you are holding a tiny, perfect creature. You sit as still as a rock-that's-too-light-to-be-a-rock, afraid that you might disturb them.

Chomp and Schrodinger having a snack.

  Then they start to crawl. They may be slow, but they are graceful, gliding across the palm of your hand and leaving a sparkling path of slime in their wake. 

They'll crawl to the tip of your finger and look around for somewhere else to go, and then you can put them down somewhere. Sometimes they start crawling on your hands and don't want to get off. I love watching how they move. They're slow compared to other bugs, but it's not as extreme as some people think. If you take your eyes off them for a few minutes, you can lose them. 

What a model.

I love snails. They are so small and beautiful. I think all of you need to hold a snail in 2021. Be gentle, careful, and carry them with love. 

I hope you're all doing alright. I'm going to have dinner with my family and try not to fear the future too much. Love you guys :)

Comments

  1. this was such a lighthearted post, but one much needed after a year full of turmoil. im now a little more informed abt. snails than i was b4 reading this post ! the snail photos are SO adorable gahh *gushes* im in awe over how you have 8 of them! other than that,, hope your 2021 is full of heartfelt moments & memories (^^) -- for both you and ur snails.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like