An Island

An island sits, rooted deep in the seabed. It sees nothing but water for miles on every side, and the ocean isn't good company. It seeks only to steal sand from the island, tugging it from the edges of the shoreline as if the island might not notice. The island does notice. The two coexist, but they will never be friends.

An island spends its life waiting for the misfortune of others. Perhaps some half-drowned sailor will wash up on its beach, or pirates will stop by to hide their stolen riches, or a runaway daughter will anchor her boat near the first shore she's seen in days. 

An island wants a visitor to stumble across its undisturbed sand, be they coughing up water or carrying treasure or resting their ocean-weary body. It is happy to shelter them in the heart of its forest, because it knows what exhaustion the sea brings. It feels proud when its trees are chosen for a boat or shelter or fire. Its heart leaps at the shouts of celebration when the visitor declares their victory to the heavens. No one thanks an island, but it sees that they are grateful. 

An island never asks its visitors who they are, where they are from, or what crimes they have committed. It knows that the opposite of luck is misfortune, and one never occurs without the other. Victim or victor, the island welcomes everyone. Its desire is the same as theirs: for the misfortune of another to unseat its own. The lucky sailor who sleeps another night on his ship never sees the island, and the unfortunate island rooted deep in the seabed never sees the sailor. It only endures another storm in solitude. 

♡♡♡

Hey guys.

So, um, happy 2021! It's a little late but I am here nonetheless. I wrote this piece a few months ago when I was feeling lonely. I'm feeling less lonely now, but this year has been rough so far. I miss writing. I hope I can get back to it soon.

I've got about six weeks until I'm done with my classes. Maybe I can start posting again after finals. This semester has been even harder than the last one, but I'm getting through.

I don't have anything else to share today, but I wanted to post this. I'll see you soon.

Comments

  1. Oh, wow! your writing is so good. I loved it. By the way, I'm Vanya. You can find my blog through this link:
    https://vanyasayimane.blogspot.com/

    All the best! ~Vanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll check out your blog too :)

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful. :) I love all the imaginary.
    -Quinley
    P.S. I tagged you for the Twenty Years Older: A Letter Tag:
    https://adventure1359.blogspot.com/2021/06/twenty-years-older-letter-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That looks like a really fun tag, thanks for tagging me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might also like