The Jolly Genre Jubilee Tag!

Hi guys! Today I made myself some bubble tea and decided it was time to finish some of my blog drafts. 

Quinley from Adventure Awaits tagged me in the Jolly Genre Jubilee Tag when she did it months ago! This is a lovely tag and I'm glad she thought of me.    


The Rules 

  1. Thank the person who tagged you.
  2. Leave a link back to the creator.
  3. Answer the questions honestly, and include at least one gif of a pelican.
  4. Tag 3+ friends to do this tag on their blog.

If you have an active creative blog, tag yourself in the comments ;). My blogger friends left me years ago. 

Now for the questions! 


1. What is your favorite genre of fiction to write? 

First of all, I'm not great at categorizing genres. As soon as things blend a little bit, oops, I don't know what it is anymore. That being said, I love writing spooky fantasy. I worked on two stories in this genre for my fiction writing class this semester. It's so much fun to write weird paranormal things and create bleak and scary worlds. 

The Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire pulls off this vibe very well. I wholeheartedly recommend. 


2. What genre would you NEVER get caught writing.....EVER? 

I could never trust myself with historical fiction. While I love history, the amount of research involved for accuracy stresses me out. I would be too afraid of real historians tearing me apart to write anything!


3. What fictional genre feels most like home to you? 

I'm most comfortable with fantasy! It got me into writing seriously. I've written lots of different flavors of it over the years. 


4. If you could transform your life into any genre of your choosing, what would it be? 

I'd like a YA romance with a splash of found family trope please. 

I have a wonderful partner whom I adore, so I'm partway there, but we could use a little running away together to magically fix our life problems. Since I am an anxious person, I am sure that some writer (honestly, myself) would love to put me through emotional hell, but I want something lighthearted that doesn't put too much pressure on me. 

On the other hand, it might be fun to be a mermaid. 


5. What genre does your real life resemble at the moment? 

Realistic fiction, I guess. I'm a stressed-out college student. It's never a good thing when my life gets exciting.


6. What's a genre you're interested in writing, even though you've never written it before? 

Sometimes I consider trying a middle-grade or children's book. I enjoy reading them sometimes because they're lighter than most YA and adult books. I would love to finish reading all of the American Girl books someday.  

I also want to try flash fiction. Some people in my fiction writing class shared theirs in workshops, and they were fantastic. The amount of story packed into so few words is impressive. I think it would be an interesting challenge if inspiration strikes!


7. What genre is your most recent plot bunny and where did it come from?  

I don't know about plot bunny, but I want to start a memoir or poetry collection as my next project. Poetry is always on my mind. I've been writing short stories and a magazine article for the fiction and journalism classes that I took this past semester, so I haven't had a ton of extra time for personal writing. 


8. How many genres have you written thus far in your writing journey? 

I've tried a lot of things! I've written an apocalyptic YA novel, a dystopian future, lots of fantasy, poetry, romance, realistic fiction, and fanfic (if that counts). So that would be... six? I doubt that's everything, but today is not the day that I go through my writing folder from middle and high school. 

That's all for the tag! Oh, wait.

via Gfycat

Here is the promised pelican. Half of the gifs I saw were basketball players and the other half were pelican birds doing this. I don't know how to feel about pelicans now.

If you read any of these answers and thought, "hey Lanie, that's not a genre," please understand that it's a genre in my heart. 

I hope you all are having a good December and coming up on winter break. I've been home for a little less than a week. I'm glad to see my cats again!

Happy holidays!

Comments

  1. I'm so bad at categorising what genre my writing is in too lol, I tend to blend them so much I'm not too sure what I'm writing anymore 🤣 but I also love spooky or dark fantasy/magical realism! I've also tried to write in too many genres to count lol, it's always good to try different styles and genres until you find your writing voice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like