Introducing the Twins!

I know that you must be asking, "twins? What twins?" Well luckily for you, I am here to answer all of your questions.
The twins are Finnegan and Garrett Monroe, from left to right.
Their names are above their heads, but I doubt you can read them.

Never again will I attempt to draw identical twins. Never again. They don't look alike at all but both of them are well drawn so I don't mind.
I imagine that this was one of those twin photoshoots where they do their hair and dress and pose the same.
Except I also imagine this went down right before they were about to leave:

Finnegan stomped down the stairs, holding the orange shirt out at arm's length like a dirty rag.
“I can't wear this,” she said.
“Why not?” Mom sighed. “We're about to leave, Finnegan, couldn't you have brought this up earlier?”
“You didn't show me the clothes earlier,” Finnie complained. “And have you seen my hair this past year?” she held a lock of it against the sweater. “It's pink, Mom. I can't wear orange.”
Mom groaned. “Fine. But look nice, at least, and keep your hair the same. And it has to match with the orange because Garrett is still wearing her sweater.”
“Sure,” Finnie said. She draped the sweater over the banister and ran back up to her room.
I love little things like this. Finnie and her hair dye.
This is Finnegan Parker Monroe. She likes drawing with wet sidewalk chalk and dyeing her hair. Parts of her hair had been dyed several non-permanant colors that lasted about a month before they faded and were replaced, until last year. Then she decided that she wanted it dip dyed a permanent hot pink, and that lasted about a month, until she decided to dye her whole head the same color.
She wanted purple and berry blue highlights, but Mom put her foot down.
"No, Finnie. One color. Three is too many."
This is Garrett Carson Monroe. She is Finnie's twin sister, fifteen minutes younger, but she doesn't care. Garrett loves poetry and pencil sketches, and favors jewelry over hair dye. She tends to be a little overshadowed by Finnie's over-the-top personality, but she started her art club and has her own friends. Not that Garrett is without quirks. She eats her cereal from a mug and spends a lot of time sitting on the floor. She is not quiet, and just as outgoing as Finnie.

That's it for the art and description, except for one thing:
This is Garrett's half of the sketch, with all the reference lines still in place. I feel like it's something Garret would draw, but as more of a finished product than a halfway finished sketch.
What do you think? Finnie and Garrett are characters from what is probably going to be my next novel, Hot Pink Hair. (Working title- suggestions appreciated.) I have written some short scenes like what you saw above, both in a document and in my notebook. (I have a pretty notebook now. I like it a lot better than those boring college rule ones.)
And I also wrote a synopsis. Finnie sounds like a main character to me, but nooo. It's Garrett.
Finnegan and Garrett Monroe, twins, are both known for their daring streak, but Finnegan more so than her sister. With her hot pink hair, she's hard to miss. Garrett keeps to the shadows a little more, busying herself with her art club and bringing out her daring only when she needs it. Finnegan, however, keeps her daring out all the time, and Garrett and the rest of Art Club love her for it. But when Finnegan's daring goes too far and lands her in a horrible accident, can Garrett keep it together, or will her sister's hot pink hair slip through her fingers as her life falls apart?
That was quite the sentence. Wow. So yeah, I'm thinkin' NaNoWriMo 2017, here I come? It's an exciting prospect.
Caught Outside has gone next to nowhere, but I think maybe sometime I'll keep going... I still have plans to finish it this year, so I better get started.
BONUS PICTURE BEFORE I GO:
We made a fire. Burned lots of stuff. Marshmallows included. It was cool. Except when you got too close, then it was hot. You may move along now.
Until later,

Comments

You might also like