Twenty Years Later: A Tag

Hey guys! I was nominated for Twenty Years Later: A Tag by Quinley from Adventure Awaits. Thanks so much to her! I think this prompt is really cool.  


The Rules: 

  1. Appreciate the blogger who nominated you.
  2. Mention Gauri @ Brighter Alleys, the creator of this letter tag.
  3. Answer the question, which is a task to write a letter.
  4. Nominate five bloggers who you think are worth it. Make sure they know that they are nominated.

The prompt:
Imagine yourself to be twenty years older than now. You have become what you always wanted to, and are living your dream. But suddenly, the 'current version of you' pops out of nowhere and asks for some tips. What tips will you give? Write a letter from the 'twenty years older you' to the 'current you' and tell how you reached your goals in twenty years.
- Gauri at Brighter Alleys , Twenty Years Later: A Tag. 

 

My letter:

Dear 18-year-old Lanie,

Do you recognize me? I'm the dream version of you at age 38. Right now you're nervously waiting out the summer between high school and college. There are a lot of things to come, and you don't know what to expect. I won't give too much away, but I know there are some things you want to know.

You might be nervous now, but you have greatness in you. If you try you can make a career out of your photography or your writing. Your ideas and projects will amount to something. One day you'll be able to find your books— I won't say which ones, maybe you haven't started them yet — on shelves somewhere. Make time for writing and create things you're proud of, and maybe you'll publish more things. Don't be afraid to push yourself. That's how you learn.

You can make the life you want for yourself. It seems like not much and so much all at the same time. You just want to live somewhere comfortable and quiet with people that make you happy, and adopt cats with your wife. Maybe it's far away, but you can do it. Remember that the things you want are important, and most people probably don't care that much. Break the rules if you want. Don't hold yourself back because of other people's expectations.

I can look back at your teenage journals and think about how much you're going to change. The best thing you can do is be brave. New things are scary, but you've got to make them fear you. Or, okay, maybe just make them like you. But face them all the same.

And hey— you can be a little more optimistic. Things are going to turn out okay.

Love, 

38-year-old Lanie.

 

Right now I'm 18, and 20 years from now I'll be 38. That seems so old compared to current me, especially since I haven't even lived 20 years yet.  Who knows what I'll be like at 38. I'm facing a lot of unknowns right now, and I really want someone to tell me it's going to be okay.

It's been a long time since I did a tag, and I still don't have blogger friends to nominate. If you feel like doing this tag, go ahead! You can say I nominated you. Thanks again to Quinley for nominating me. Her and Guari's letters were pretty cool, and you should check them out!

I hope you enjoyed this little look at my dreams (and insecurities). If I happen to remember this when I'm 38, I think it'll be interesting to look back on. 

What are some of your dreams for the future?

Comments

  1. Hi Lanie!
    Wow, your letter is just so sweet and wonderful! Loved reading it from your future self <3
    Have a great day!
    ~ Maith (https://maithworld.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letter was so sweet. :) I loved reading it.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, your letter was so encouraging Lanie :) Your future self is surely very wise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You might also like