Nameless Part Three: Waking Up Alone

So I check my phone, see notifications from the Skype group chat with Ali, Striker, and Scarlet, check it, and THEY ARE LITERALLY DISCUSSING THE MEANING OF LIFE. My friends/sister confuse me. Not that it really matters because I'm sure I do the same thing.
Anyway. Nameless Part Three. On it.
[Part one] [Part two]

Waking Up Alone: (the Boy's perspective)


He opened his eyes and sat up, the cold air hitting him like a slap across the face. His eyelashes were soaked with tears, as were his cheeks. He could feel the tears drying around his eyes. The warmth where his sister usually slept was missing, her side of the bed was cold. He could feel tears prick back up. Even though the nightmare was gone, the image of the monster was burned into his vision, haunting him as though it was waiting in the dark, just beyond his reach. He didn't like waking up alone. He shuddered in the cold, calling on the only time he could remember his sister ever smiling. In his head she was grinning, her cheeks and hands scratched from the blackberry thorns. She was laughing, laughing because he had tasted a red one, scowled, and promptly spat it out.
He clutched the blanket in his fist as the image faded, trying to hold on to it as long as he could. Tears trickled further down his cheeks, leaving wet streaks in their wake. His breath caught in his throat, coming out as a sob instead. He was scared. He was alone.
But then she was there, wrapping her arms around him, picking him up and holding him close, whispering to him that she was here now, he was alright. He could feel her heartbeat underneath his cheek, and the steady pulse calmed him.
She set him on his feet, then sat down on the floor. He crawled into her lap, wrapping his arms around her neck again and laying his head on her shoulder. She ran her fingers through his hair, still talking quietly.
“It was just a dream,” she whispered, “you're alright, you're safe.”
“But you were gone.”
“But now I'm here, and you're here, and we're both safe.” Her warm breath brushed his ear, tickling him.
“Are we?” he asked, almost fearfully. His sister just hugged him closer, and he closed his eyes, letting her long hair sweep over his face like a veil.
“Yes,” she said determinedly. “We're safe here.”

***

I really liked writing this part, so what do you think? And I added dialogue. It was impossible to avoid, but I like the way it sounds. 
I think I'm going to make some art for this at some point, but I'm out of ideas. If you have suggestions PLEASE tell me. 
Bye for now!

Comments

You might also like