Inteviewing Lilly [Caught Outside/Camp NaNo Prep]

Heyy! I'm pretty excited right now because I finally figured out where I'm going with the second half of Caught Outside. Last year, for Camp NaNo, I just kinda threw plot twists at it to see what would happen. It turned out pretty good, but I realized if I kept doing that until the end of the book, I would have so many loose ends to tie up that it would never be fully resolved.

I worked it out just in time for Camp NaNo, too, which is in... *glances at calendar* ONE WEEK?!? I think I'm prepared enough but... As long as I don't panic. No panicking. [it was a week, when I started the post. Now it's just a day.]

As I was plotting the second half of the book, I realized that I was exploring a character that I didn't know very well. Lilly. Her personality has shifted a little as I've been writing, and now it's back to what I intended her to be like when I started the book.
Earlier, Anika posted this character interview and I liked the questions and decided to do it myself. The questions are from something called Beautiful People.
[I will be talking in italics, Lilly speaks in regular font]

1. What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it?

My name is Lilly Brianne Arnold. I guess my parents just thought it was pretty?

Lilly suits your character, and Brianne just made it flow right.

Oh. So yeah, it's mostly just pretty.

That about sums it up.

2. How old are they, and when were they born?

I'm fifteen and... when was I born?

*shrugs* I don't have a definite year for Caught Outside. The date is March fourteenth, I just don't know the year.

3. Describe their physical appearance. (Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!)

I have really light blond hair that is, thankfully, naturally straight. I have blue eyes, I'm about average height, I think that's really it. I don't wear glasses or contacts or anything.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Oh! I have pierced ears, and I usually have on some form of chapstick. (or in my pocket, at least.)

4. Describe your character's personality first in one word, then elaborate with a few sentences.

......

I'm going to go with logical, for now at least. Generally, she works things out with logic, thinks thoroughly before making decisions, but not to the point that it kills the fun. Choosing to stay up until four AM watching movies isn't exactly logical, but it made sense to her. When she gets stressed or angry, she still thinks everything through, but her solutions are harsher and less put together. If you make her really angry, though... She pretty much explodes.

Is that really what I do?

Sadly, yes.

.....

5. What theme song(s) fit their character and story arc?

.....

.....

We don't know.

6. Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?

...wrath? I mean, based on Evy's description of me, I sound like a monster when I get angry. I think it's the best of the seven.

7. If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air) which one would they be?

Water. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful, it can save your life but it can also drown you.

8. What is their favorite word?

I'm not sure. I say "chill" a lot, but I hadn't put much thought into favorites until now.

9. Who's one person they miss? (It could be someone who's passed away, or someone who they're not close to anymore, or someone who moved away.)

Joel. I miss my little bro and... I just loved him so much. It doesn't even seem real that he's not here. I wish it wasn't real.
If I had just trusted only me with him, and not--

Lilly, I know you're upset, and I know you have a whole laundry list of people to blame, including yourself, but you're giving away like, ninety percent of the plot, so I'm cutting off this explanation.

10. What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?

The empty bed in Henry's room.
The street corner where we stopped running long enough for Celia to tell me what had happened.
The way his footsteps sounded on the stairs.
There is more, but--

I know. I know. 

***

So that was fun. Especially writing Lilly missing Joel.
Is anyone else doing Camp NaNo? (probably not but I'll ask)

Comments

You might also like