Stories and Sketches Creative Tag

Hi guys! It's been a bit since I did a tag, and I've had lots of time to create recently, as evidenced by the fact that I'm posting every week again. When I saw this tag on Notebooks and Novels, I thought it would be fun to try. I liked reading Miciah's answers, so you should check out her post, too!

This tag was created by Elizabeth Anne from Stories and Sketches. There are four questions. I'll put them at the bottom of the post if you're interested in doing this tag yourself.

    1. What is your favorite way to create?


      Between photography, writing, and drawing*, writing is definitely my favorite. I'm still learning all of those things (do you ever stop learning as an artist?), but I understand how to create things with words better than I can with a pencil or camera. I've represented all three mediums in this post!

      I write lots and lots of stories, share things on my blogs, and keep a journal. That's a lot of writing. Fun fact, I've logged 163,404 words on the NaNoWriMo site, and those aren't even all the words I've written for NaNo events. (The site transfer lost two events worth of updates... I'm not upset...)

      Anyway, I write so much because there's a lot to write about. I hear, see, and feel things, and I want to put them into words. I write mostly fiction, and I think the well of things that aren't real, but make good stories, is probably bottomless.

        2. What is your favorite quote about creativity?


          This question made me realize that I don't know any off the top of my head, so I looked for some. Here are two that I liked.

          “Draw the art you want to see, start the business you want to run, play the music you want to hear, write the books you want to read, build the products you want to use – do the work you want to see done.” - Austin Kleon

          "Everyone's different inside their head." - From Radio Silence by Alice Osman.

          As the second one is from a book and I can't remember what context it was said in, I'm hesitant to call it a creative quote, but it's a good quote either way.

            3. How do you overcome “creative block”?


              Usually, my creative blocks aren't caused by a lack of ideas. A block on one project means that my heart wants to write something else right then. I got tired of writing Scouts several times during the two years I was drafting it. I changed focus and created other things, but I knew I would come back to Scouts because I loved my characters and their story. Switching projects (for short periods) helps make sure I don't hit a full creative wall on everything.

              If I don't feel like creating anything, I wait it out. It's not very helpful to push on when I'm burned out. I try to keep up with my journal so that I'm still writing, even if it isn't particularly impactful.

                4. What inspires you to create?


                  Most of my writing inspiration comes from music.
                  My short stories and other small pieces (like Lights that We Fade In and To My Favorite Liar) almost always have one or several songs behind them. Scouts has a two hour long playlist of songs that represent plot points and characters. I like to title the stories after the songs that inspired them, so if you see a title that seems familiar, there's a good chance it's a song lyric.

                  I'm also inspired by things around me, like nature. I consider my thoughts and the circumstances that I find myself in inspiration, too, because I write about them.
                  (That's a lot of links in one section. Choose wisely.)

                  You guys know I'm awful at tagging people. If you have a creative blog, I tag you!
                  The questions are:
                  1. What is your favorite way to create?
                  2. What is your favorite quote about creativity?
                  3. How do you overcome "creative block"?
                  4. What inspires you to create? 
                  Tell me something you've created recently in the comments.

                  Comments

                  You might also like