I Finished My WIP and It's Party Time


Yes, you read the title right. I finished the first draft of Scouts!
That didn't have quite the impact I was hoping for.
I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF SCOUTS!!!!!

The Scouts of the Apocalypse (it's not a great title, but I'm working on it), otherwise known as Scouts, is the biggest writing project I've ever worked on. As of the end of draft one, this is my synopsis:

The Scouts of the Apocalypse

"Stop calling it that. In the apocalypse, you don't get rescued."
"And what if we don't?"
   Cole has always envied how self-sufficient his best friend Jenna seems. They rely on each other so much they're nearly family, but neither of them expect how much self-sufficiency they'll need after they and two new friends sneak out for an overnight adventure that lasts far longer than overnight. A sudden disaster leaves the four stranded in the ruins of North America. They name themselves "the Scouts of the Apocalypse" and start walking.
   Laurel's heart aches for his beloved adoptive family. The three strangers he's traveling with could never fill the gap. He feels homeless again, forced to trust people he's just met with everything he is. He wants nothing more than to throw himself into his moms' arms again.
   Mavis has never understood the power of nature like this before. They feel small and aimless as they wander on empty roads, and they feel distant from their group of friends. Frequent clashing with Jenna over what is right and wrong isn't helping things.
   As close as Cole is to Jenna, the people they meet on their journey threaten to drive them apart. Would she really leave Cole rather than say goodbye to someone she just met? For the first time in his life, though, Cole has Mavis, another transgender person to lean on. They help him learn how to speak up for himself.
   Jenna isn't worried about leaving behind her family. She's glad for the freedom from their stifling rules of what a girl should be, but she finds herself fighting with the other Scouts almost as much. Old and new friends pull her in different directions, cornering her in too many hard decisions.
   Laurel, Mavis, Cole, and Jenna grow closer as they search for their families, or maybe just somewhere that feels like home.
♡ ♡ ♡

The first draft is 95, 502 words long. It began two years ago with Young Volcanoes by Fall Out Boy, four character names, and some funny (but terrible) dialogue.

    “A boy scout is always prepared!” Laurel recited.
    “Laurel, you have never been a boy scout,” Mavis said flatly.
    “But a boy can dream,” Laurel said. “Maybe we can all be boy scouts.”
    “We aren’t all boys though,” Jenna countered. “Pick something we all have in common.”
    “So then we’ll be the Gay Scouts!” Laurel exclaimed. Mavis snorted.

I have to cringe reading this, but that's where these four started. Not pictured: Cole, who was very quiet for the first few chapters. In this scene, the Scouts name themselves, and they start the journey across the United States that makes up the rest of the book. All of my characters are LGBT+ because I enjoy reading books with queer casts. (If anyone thinks this is unrealistic, I urge you to ask a gay person about their friend group.)
Here's a bit about each character, along with the Picrews I made for them. I've only drawn Mavis, and it would be unfair to only share their appearance and no one else's. 
All art in the following pictures belongs to the artists linked as sources.


This is Jenna! She's an asexual lesbian, and she's been Cole's best friend since they were little. Her outgoing personality and bold ideas are what bring the Scouts together at the beginning of the story.


This is Laurel! He's bisexual. He and his two siblings are adopted, and he loves his family more than anything. He likes dogs. He isn't very athletic, but he enjoys the outdoors and has a few random camping skills.
This is Cole! He's a trans boy with dreams of being a baseball player, and he plays several other sports, too. He's shy, but very loyal, and he's most likely a Hufflepuff. He would do anything for his friends. 


This is Mavis! They're genderqueer and very spiritual. They love taking care of kids. Mavis might seem dry or irritable at first, but they do have a sappy side once you get to know them.

I'm so proud of myself for this accomplishment. I've never finished a project of this scale before. After spending two years on this project, it feels strange to have an ending. I keep thinking about it and going, wow, I wrote a book (sort of). Then I wonder what to do now. My current checklist goes like this:
  1. Let the story and characters chill out in the back of my brain for at least a month.
  2. Rename my cast, because all my names are either bland or stolen from friends.
  3. Write a full, detailed outline, including individual scenes.
  4. Write character profiles for my main cast and important side characters
  5. Start the second draft.
I'll admit this post was a bit of a mess, but I'm excited. Thank you for your time.

Comments

  1. Ok, this sounds awesome! Once you edit it and publish it, I would love to read it! :D The two characters I am most interested to read about are Laurel and Jenna.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D. I'm glad you think they're interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might also like